For latest, we upload from our facebook group, Yemen Rights Monitor If you have a breaking news story, a personal account, or have witnessed a human rights violation, please send us an email at: [yemenrightsmonitor [at] gmx .fr ]. Your information will be confidential. We respond to media inquiries as well. For immediate response message our spokespeople on twitter @al_masani or @YusraAlA or @Ronaldo_Yemen

Thursday, 11 August 2011

August 11th Updates!

Clashes erupted in Al-Azraiqain checkpoint, Sana'a for the past hour between Republican Guard forces and tribes, a couple of powerful explosions are heard. 

Powerful explosions along with very violent clashes in Al-Azraqian checkpoint. Warplanes are flying over the skies of Sana'a continuously

Yemeni Jouranlists Syndicate (YJS) denounced what Journalist Mohammed Aida, Director of Al-Hurrah Channel in Sana'a, was subjected to from an attack by unknowns in Sana'a on Wednesday. According to Aida he was attacked by unknowns who wanted to kill him with knives and switchblades but was saved by intervention of a number of people, he also said that he received threats in the previous period. YJS held Ministry of Interior responsible for protecting Aida from any harm that he may be subjected to.

MarebPress: Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research Dr. Saleh Bassurah demanded in the daily meeting of the cabinet last week to prevent Yasser Al-Yamani and Abdo Al-Janadi from appearing in the Arab Satellite Channels, and descirbed their responses as fueling the political life.

He called Al-Yamani to resume his work as Secretariat of the Captial and Hassan Al-Lawzi, Minister of Informationو should be the one holding press conferences as he is the minister. Many of the other ministers objected and the meeting was a bit of a chaos.

Sources indicated that once Abdo Al-Janadi heard about what happened in the meeting, he said that he is assigned to defend the GCP from who are on top of corruption.

The Yemeni Observatory for Human Rights condemned arresting and hiding activist Nabeel Yousef Al-Hajaji, his brother Bassam and their relatives Adel Hizam Ghalib Al-Samaee and Wael Al-Samaee at a checkpoint belonging to the Republican Guards forces in Artel area in Sana'a on July 28th evening while they were passing through that point.

YOHR demanded all local, regional and international Human Rights Organizations to intervene to uncover the location and fate of the detainees and release them, blaming security authorities and military and holding them fully responsible for anything that might happen to them.

MarebPress: Deputy Information Minister, Abdu Al-Janadi considered the National Council that the JMP is planning to announce on August 17th to be a declaration of war on all the existing constitutional institutions because it means to build a state within a state and involving the country in civil war. Al-Janadi warned JMP from declaraing the National Council and holds them fully responsibile for the consequnces of the establishment of this Council. He said that it will be born dead, just like the rest of the councils that have been previously announced, affirming that it would be the spark that will ignite civil war in Yemen. He appealed to JMP not to take this step as it is extremely dangerous.

Al-Janadi also criticized when Sheikh Sadeq Al-Ahmar said that "Saleh will not rule Yemen as long as hes alive", saying that he was not successful saying that because he raised the ire of the Yemeni tribes around Yemen. He also revealed that Saleh's supporters will meet in Sana'a to announce the organization of a national congress that will hold all the prominent tribal figures and tribal leaders to stand up against the developments in the poor conditions that Yemen reached. He added that the reasons for this was the statement made by Sheikh Sadeq Al-Ahmar

A number of militants were killed and two others wounded by artillery shelling that targetted them from Brigade 25 Mika yesterday afternoon next to the Central Bank of Zanjibar, Abyan. Witnesses said that Brigade 25 Mika also shelled gunmen stationed in Tax Collection point in Wadi Hasan, east of Zanjibar.

More witnesses confirmed that Brigade 119 stationed in north-west of Zanjibar increased the artillery and Katyusha missiles on a number of militants stationed in Al-Khamela, Al-Kood and Al-Meseymar and reports of many lives and equipments losses. The militants started to withdraw from previous stations that they were stationed at, when they took over Zanjibar, as a result of the bombing that targetted them along with tribe members who are deployed in Zanjibar from time to time

JMP spokesperson Mohammed Qahtan confirmed that they are in preparation of the National Council that the opposition is planning to announce on August 17th. He said that they believe that the committee is proceeding the preparations and that on August 17th it will be the day they choose a National Council that will lead the revolutionary process towards overthrowing the remnants parts of the regimeand thus open the door quickly for the Yemenis to achieve their aspirations for change and building a modern democratic civil state.

Regarding the recent interntaional developments, Qahtan pointed out the JMP looks at them in a positive way, but keeping in mind that they are still below the required level. He also called the Gulf countries to take more positive attitudes towards the peaceful revolution of Yemen and the aspirations of the Yemeni people for change.

Through a press statement, he expressed his thanks and appreciateion for the positive evolution of the recent international positions from the United States, Security Council, European Union and the Russian and Saudi positions.

Tribal sources in Nahm direcorate in Sana'a confirmed that tribes were able to prevent Brigade 62 Republican Guards that is stationed in Bait Dahra in Bani Hareth to be able to reach many villages in Nahm. The sources indicated that they were able to fail this attempt after armed clashes with Republican Guards forces where they wanted to station in Al-Zareeq, Al-Sadeen and Al-Maqsis areas. They were also able to damage a number of armored vehichles after Republican Guard forces destroyed a number of farms and a house of a civilan, as well as injuring two tribesmen during those clashes with minor injures.

Sheikh Sadeq Abu Hatem, one of Nahm tribe Sheikhs and a supporter of the revolution demanded commanders of the brigades, that are shelling civilians in Arhab and Nahm -Al-Bukhaiti, Al-Mosheki and Al-Matari- to deal with their soldiers as if they are their relatives and to protect their lives instead of putting them in absurdity wars against tribes supporting the peaceful revolution. He also called the soldiers and officers in the Republican Guards camps to join the revolution instead of being exposed to all means of psychological pressure and threats of liquidations if they do not carry out orders to fight people and kill civilians.

Sheikh Sadeq Abu Hatem, one of Nahm Sheikhs confirmed that a battalion from Brigade 62 Republican Guards that is located in Bait Dahra joined the tribesmen of Nahm after they managed to escape from the camp. They assured that they have many colleagues that are being held inside the Brigade, after the commander of the Brigade knew of the willingness of the soldiers to leave the camp and join the peaceful revolution and to the tribe refusing to participate in any battles against the tribes of Nahm.
Local sources indicated that Security Director Abdullah Qairan and Republican Guard Commander Al-Awbali in Taiz refused to sign a calming truce under the pretext that they represent security and operational sides and that the agreement must be signed by the local authority and the representatives of the opposition parties and dignitaries of Taiz. This rejection comes after it was decided and agreed on for both of them to sign the truce after it was already signed by the representatives of the oppositions parties and militants supporting the revolution as well as dignitaries of Taiz.

Sources also confirm that new military reinforcements reached 60th Street and near Al-Thawra Hospital in Taiz consisting of 6 tanks, 9 crews and 5 troop carriers in a time that the process of withdrawing the Republican Guard forces from where they are present at should begin. Sources considered these reinforcements to be the first violations of the truce agreement and the translation of Qairan and Awbali's rejection to sign the agreement in actions rather than words.


Asharq Alawsat in its Thursday edition quoted an official in the Yemeni government, saying that President Ali Abdullah Saleh, agreed to consider the revival of the Gulf initiative and that he had discussed with members of the ruling party, whom he met in Riyadh last Wednesday, in the presence of Prime Minister in the caretaker government and Chairman of the House of Representatives (in his first appearance since the accident in the presidential Mosque on the third of June) the issue of reviving the Gulf initiative to resolve the crisis and ensure a peaceful transition of power, and a mechanism for it.

The newspaper quoted the same source confirming that President Saleh agreed to work with the main opposition parties, groups and with other Yemeni and international bodies and countries concerned, in order to reach a way to end the crisis.

Yemen's opposition leader Yahya Mansour Abu Osboue was quoted by the media telling Al Arabiya television that President Saleh agreed to sign the initiative Gulf on condition that both General Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar and Sheikh Sadiq Bin Abdullah al-Ahmar leave the country and that both Major General Mohsen and Sheikh Sadiq had agreed to do so for the country's interest.


The White House received a message from President Saleh confirming his lack of desire to return and agreeing to transfer power.

A senior diplomat in one of the embassies of the Gulf States in the capital Sanaa revealed to "Akhabr Elyoum" that the Gulf States and the Secretariat General of Gulf Cooperation Council received confirmation from the American side that President Ali Abdullah Saleh sent a letter to the White House, stressing explicit consent to the transfer of power to his deputy, as well as a decision not to return to Yemen, which was welcomed by the White House through a U.S. adviser to President Obama, adding that the White House response was welcoming and demanding an immediate transfer of power without delay according to the Gulf initiative.

The senior diplomat, who requested anonymity, said that the statements attributed to U.S. sources that the President had taken the decision not to return to Yemen was based on the President's confirmation in his letter to the White House. He emphasized that the issue of immediate transfer of power is supported by all Gulf states including Saudi Arabia and that any amendment to the Gulf initiative was rejected by all.

The senior diplomat noted that the chances of a political solution under the Gulf initiative, which included the president and his family and relatives not to be accountable, chances of success is diminishing and that the international position, which is more stringent about the delays and procedures for the transfer of power in Yemen which will take a more severe course in the political dialogue and amount of privileged opportunities granted by the Gulf initiative to some parties. He stressed that the coordination between the Gulf States, the United States and the European Union continues at a high level on the basis that the immediate transfer of power as the only way out of the crisis of Yemen, both according to the mechanisms of the Gulf initiative or the initiative by the Envoy of the Secretary General of the United Nations, Jamal Ben Omar.

Regarding the hard-line and Gulf's most aggressive position towards Syria in comparison to the Gulf States and Saudi Arabia especially towards the events in Yemen, the Gulf diplomat said that Gulf States and senior Gulf leaders were concerned and followed up on Yemen and that all States deal with Yemen on the basis that to all political parties in Yemen have an opportunity to appeal to reason and to the interests of the Yemeni people and meet their desires and aspirations for change. He noted that the position of Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states toward Syria should be the station on which all sides of Yemen stand, especially those that are a stumbling block to the immediate transfer of power. He stressed that all the Gulf states wish to immediately stop the bloodshed and violence to ensure the halt of further bloodshed.

ABYAN (AdenOnline) – Local tribal militias have arrested 14 al Qaeda militants in Lauder District of Abyan southern Yemeni province Thursday, after an assassination attempt thought to be by al Qaeda’s militants against one of the militias’ leaders.

The elements of al Qaeda were arrested after a search campaign by the local militias called “the Youth of Lauder’s Assembly,” that assumed the task of expelling al Qaeda members from Lauder.

Activists in the militia told AdenOnline that the search campaign was launched after the thwart of an assassination by al Qaeda when an explosive package had been found inside the car of a leader of the local militia called Muhammed Aidarous al-Jefri.

Al-Jefri discovered the package by chance late Wednesday, then Explosives experts from the 111th Brigade were called for to explode the package in an uninhabited place in the early hours of Thursday.

In the early morning, tens of the Youth Lauder’s Assembly members launched an extensive search in the city which consecuently led to the arrest of 14 Ansar al Sharia members, the wing of al Qaeda in Yemen.

The terrorists have been kept in Shaheed Naji School in the center of Lauder District.

The local efforts in Lauder could bring peace to the district after the expulsion of Ansar Al Sharia members whom are accused of being behind the disturbance in their district.

AdenOnline: A senior commander in al Qaeda was assassinated Tuesday by unknown armed men in the district of Mudia in Abyan Province, where clansmen took control over the district after the expulsion of al Qaeda members about a month ago.

‎(Saba) - President Ali Abdullah Saleh paid on Thursday visits to the Premier's deputies, who are being hospitalized in Saudi hospitals in Riyadh.  Saleh visited Premier's Deputy for Defense Affaires and Local Administration Minister Rashad al-Alimi in King Faisal Hospital and Premier's Deputy for Internal Affaires Sadeq Abu Ras in King Abdulaziz Hospital. The president got assured of their health and congratulated them on their recovery. Al-Alimi and Abu Ras thanked the president for his following-up their health condition, asserting that their health is in progress.

Three shot and injured by Central Security in Taiz's Jamal st this evening Ramadan 10th - August 11th.
Maher Mohammed Al-Maqtari 33 years old.
Akeed Abdulghani Ibraheem 27 years old.
Mohammed Abduljabbar Al-Kholaidy 25 years old

Four injured in new attacks by Republican Guards forces on Jamal St. and an injury of a female near the old airport in Taiz

Ramadan in Change Square of Sana'a

Mass marches in Al-Baydah condemning Saleh's regime crimes of killing citizens in Arhab, Taiz and Abyan and calling the merchants not to pay Zakat -donations- that go to the remnants of the regime.

Very heavy artillery and Katyusha shelling on Al-Awdeya and Al-Onmi villages in Arhab by Republican Guard forces and reports of the destruction of some houses. 

Armed groups are launching an attack on the army in Dofis area, Abyan killing two soldiers and wounding others.

Warplanes bombed the cotton plant in Kood area, Abyan and completely destroyed it today. 

Warplanes bombed a militants training camp in Al-Khamela area, Abyan and dozens of dead and injured

A mosque destructed and a number of houses due to Republican Guards bombardment on Shuob village in Arhab by artillery and missiles. 

For the first time, warplanes bombed Abyan governor new building in Zanjibar. 

Abyan : The initial outcome of today's clashes was the injury of 10 of the armed groups and the killing of one of their leaders after the Air Force shelling on the Office of Abyan's Governor.

Abyan : Men of the armed groups in Abyan Zanjibar arrested 10 citizens and deported them to Je'ar where they were tortured for charges of looting.

Abyan | Armed group suffered huge losses of materiel and weapons by the floods that swept their warehouse in Wadi Bana

Mareb Press : Member of Parliament, Sheikh Mansour Al-Haneq, said that the attack on the Directorate of Arhab began when a check point near the military camp of Ferijyah (Gen. 62), started abusing people of Arhab, and then moved from abusing to murders and assassinations

Shelling with tanks and heavy artillery from Alsama'a and Alfrejah camps on the villages of Barman, Bait Almarrany and some other villages of #Arhab

Mareb Press : Deputy Minister of Information, Abdo Aljanadi, denounced the British government's suppression on the last Saturday's protest demonstrations, and invited them to respect the rights of protesters to demonstrate and express their opinion, and to protect them rather than attack them.

Tawakul Karman conference tent in Change Square of Sana'a was burnt quickly indicating that there is a presence of inflammable material and it was not accidental or electrical.

Mass march in Taiz this evening after Taraweeh prayer. 
"Oh Qairan oh thug, we're coming for you, we're coming" Youth chanted in Taiz today. #

MarebPress: A soldier of Central Security forces assassinated Commander of Government Complex Security in Amran, Colonel Ismael Al-Gharbani and one of 310 Armored Brigade -pro revolution- officer and runs away.

Hadramout Alkatn | Two people wounded as a result of the suppression of Central Security forces on a peaceful march. Names of the wounded are : Mohammed Yahia Ben-Saydan and Basawad.

No comments:

Post a Comment