Yemen expels two Al-Jazeera journalists
(AFP) – 3 hours ago
SANAA — Yemen has ordered two Al-Jazeera television correspondents to leave the country, saying they were working illegally and had acted unprofessionally, Saba state news agency said Saturday.
An information ministry official was quoted as saying Ahmed Zidan and Abdulhaq Saddah had "provoked the people of Yemen" with their news coverage.
The report did not say exactly what it was the two men had done to merit their expulsion.
The news comes a day after snipers killed 52 anti-regime protesters in Sanaa in the latest wave of protests that has killed at least 70 people since they erupted in January.
In the Friday violence, Yemeni photojournalist Jamal al-Sharaabi, who worked for the independent weekly Al-Masdar, was shot dead by Yemeni security forces, media rights groups reported.
Saba reported on Wednesday that Yemen has expelled four foreign journalists whom it accused of violating its residency laws.
Media rights watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF) has identified them as two Britons -- Oliver Holmes and Portia Walker -- and two Americans -- Haley Sweetland Edwards and Joshua Maricich.
RSF has also said that another US journalist, Patrick Symmes, and his Italian photographer, Marco Di Lauro, were deported last week.